Are you looking to move large amounts of data into Azure? Today I’m here to tell you how to do that with the Azure Data Box.
Picture this: you have a ton of data, let’s say 50 terabytes on-prem, and you need to get that into Azure because you’re going to start doing incremental back ups of a SQL Database, for instance. You have two options to get this done.
First option is to move that data manually. Which means you have to chunk it, set it up using AZ copy or a similar Azure data tool, put it up in a blob storage, then extract it and continue with the process. Sounds pretty painful, right?
Your second option is to use Azure Data Box which allows you to move large chunks of data up into Azure. Here’s how simple it is:
- You order the Data Box through Azure (currently available in the US and EU)
- Once received, you connect it to your environment however you plan to move that data
- It uses standard protocols like SMB and CIFS
- You copy the data you want to move and return the Data Box back to Azure and then they will upload the data into your storage container(s)
- Once the data is uploaded, they will securely erase that Data Box
With the Data Box you get:
- 256-bit encryption
- A super tough, hardened box that can withstand drops or water, etc.
- It can be pushed into Azure Blob
- You can copy data up to 10 storage accounts
- There are two 1 gigabit/second and two 10 gigabit/second connections to allow quick movement of data off your network onto the box
In addition, Microsoft has recently announced the Data Box Disk, which is a small 8 terabyte disk that you can order up to five of as part of the Data Box Disk. With Data Box Disc you get:
- 35 terabytes of usable capacity per order
- Supports Azure Blobs
- A USB SATA 2 and 3 interface
- Uses 128-bit encryption
- Like Data Box, it’s a simple process to connect it, unlock it, copy the data onto the disk and it send it back to copy those into a single storage account for you
Definitely worth checking out. We are here to help you with any of this or with any questions you have, whether it be about this service or anything Azure related.
Need further help? Our expert team and solution offerings can help your business with any Azure product or service, including Managed Services offerings. Contact us at 888-8AZURE or [email protected].