Georgia School District Improves Graduation Rate and Student Success with Power BI and Azure
Forsyth’s Technology Services team sought to find a way to help assist and advocate for their students by using the most current information and consolidating data in a modern way.
Assess & Architect
Assessed reporting and data landscape to develop a solution to bring data together in one place
Consolidate & Transform
Combined data from disparate sources using Azure SQL Database & Azure Data Factory
Standardize & Report
Standardized student data and use Power BI to visualize data and machine learning to predict trends and behaviors
Amount Saved in Staff
Resources & Time
Of Staff Leadership Using
Power BI Reports
Number of Student’s Data
Forsyth County is one of the fastest-growing counties in the United States, and the Forsyth County School District (Forsyth) is the seventh-largest district in the state of Georgia. With the surrounding area known as Georgia’s technology corridor, Forsyth County prides itself on its technological innovation and high performance. The North Metro Atlanta–based school district has 40 schools and centers, over 8,000 full-time and part-time employees, and more than 51,000 students.
With so many students and employees, Forsyth County School District needed an easy and seamless way to identify the group of students needing support and attention. While Forsyth has an impressive graduation rate of 94 percent, leadership remains concerned with the remaining 6 percent of students not graduating, and continually strives to find solutions on how to reach 100 percent graduation rate.
Previously, all student data was being analyzed individually, specifically by school leadership teams. Effectively wrangling the vast amount of available data required a copious amount of time and in-depth background knowledge. Forsyth County Schools also had siloed student data, making it cumbersome and tedious to access and utilize the information in a timely manner. Since data was being analyzed manually, Forsyth was struggling to use and understand all its data in a way that actively benefited students.
“You’re going to see our graduation rate go up because of those students that we’re able to find and get help—and Power BI enabled us to do that.”
Focusing on Student Success with Power BI and Azure
3Cloud worked with Forsyth County Schools in three phases to incorporate Power BI into its systems:
Consolidating data and building the foundational architecture and reports
Introducing standardized survey responses about students and their learning environments
Utilizing historical information and success metrics to predict trends and behaviors
The 3Cloud Team needed to establish the underlying architecture using Azure prior to the team using Power BI to create numerous accessible, easy-to-use, dashboard-style reports that would highlight student metrics at the district, school, classroom, and individual level.
Forsyth County Schools estimates that the implementation of Power BI has saved the district over $300,000 in staff resources and time. More importantly, using Power BI, the staff at Forsyth County Schools can quickly and effectively pinpoint struggling students and get them the help they need to graduate. The district is aiming to move the 94 percent graduation rate to 100 percent.
According to Tim Fleming, Director of Technology Services at Forsyth County Schools, “We’re finding the students who maybe have fallen through the cracks over the years. We’re presently working with the students to make sure they’re going to graduate, and I guarantee you’re going to see our graduation rate go up because of those students that we’re able to find and get help—and Power BI enabled us to do that.”
Liz HamiltonCustomer Story – Georgia School District Improves Graduation Rate and Student Success with Power BI & Azure